Annie is one of our Go WOW Members who shares all kinds of fun snacks and workout ideas, too. This Moroccan treat comes from a recipe by Janet Fletcher in the SF Chronicle, 12-24-2008. Thanks for this tasty, instant energy snack, full of real, wholesome, food.
- 20 moist Medjool or Barhi dates, pit them and set aside
- The decor: 1/2 cup whole almonds, walnuts or pistachios, toast at 350 for about 10 minutes
- 1/4 Cup almond butter
- 3 tablespoons Italian Parsley, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted and ground cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Mix all the filling ingredients together, adding a little almond butter oil from the jar if it’s too stiff. Put about 1/2 teaspoon of filling in each date, and top with a toasted nut.
Nutrition Notes from Stephanie: I read recently that dates are even higher on the glycemic index than sucrose (sucrose = 100, dates = 103). Dates are naturally sweet so they are healthy in small amounts but they are major energy foods that will jolt your system out of blood sugar balance if not used with caution or when fast energy is appropriate (before or after a workout, for example).
Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net “Date Fruits In Black Plate” by Praisaeng